Spanish
   
 

Brief historical reference


historia1 The University of Granada´s Faculty of Pharmacy was created by a Royal Decree dating from August 28th, 1850. The botanist Dr. Mariano del Amo y Mora, permanent proffessor of teaching staff for the subject Mineralogical and Zoological Application to the Pharmacy , was sent from Madrid to found this faculty..

The Pharmacy Degree´s first syllabus was signed on that same date by Queen Isabella II, and it was the same that was taught, at that time, in the Faculties of Madrid and Barcelona, which were created just a few years earlier. This syllabus required five years to be spent at the Faculty, after which the Bachelor's degree was obtained, and, if two more years of private practice were carried out, the students could pursue a Master's degree. To obtain the title of Doctor, two more years of study were required, for which the teaching was only carried out in the University Complutense of Madrid.



Throughout the years of its existence, the Faculty of Pharmacy of Granada has resided in four different locations. During the first period (1850 - 1921), it was located in the main University building. In these first years of existence, all the teaching, both theoretical and practical, was carried out in one single room. At the end of the XIXth century, the were laboratories for Organic Chemistry, Practical Pharmacy, Chemical Analysis, Inorganic Chemistry, Zoology and Physics.

In its first location, various scientific activities were carried out, like the series of x-Rays executed by Dr. Dorronsoro in May 1897, which are currently considered to be one of the first instances of x-Raying being completed in Spain. He acted as guardian of the University´s Botanical Garden, having begun his career in 1776. In 1969, this Botanical Garden was reopened thanks to the Dr. Esteve Chueca and the help of the then Rector Dr. Federico Mayor Zaragoza.
historia2

In 1922, the Faculty of Pharmacy moved to San Jerónimo street. During the Spanish Civil War, the Faculty of Pharmacy had its first independent headquarters in which significant contributions took place, coinciding with a lack regarding supply sources. Thus, substances sought after for the purposes of health were made in these laboratories: silver nitrate and salts, bismuth salts, activated carbons, derivatives of quinine and also gas masks. In 1960, the Faculty of Pharmacy moved to a building located in Rector López-Argüeta street. The Faculty of Pharmacy carried out its work in this building between 1960 and 1988. During this era, professional schools of Clinical Analysis and Nutrition, the Institute for Parasitology López-Neyra and the magazine ARS Pharmaceutica were created..

Finally, in 1988, the Faculty of Pharmacy, for the very last time, moved to its current building, located on the Cartuja Campus. This new building was created thanks to the initiative of the Dean Dr. José Luis Valverde in 1975. Its construction started in 1985, during the mandate of the Dean Dr. Jesús Thomas, and the building was inaugurated on March 2nd, 1989. It consists of a building designed and developed with functional criteria, appropriate for the purposes of teaching and research.

Currently, the following departments are located in the Faculty: Botany, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology II, Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry, Statistics and Operational Research, Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology, Pharmacology, Physicochemical, Physiology, Plant Physiology, Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Microbiology, Food Sciences and Nutrition, Psychic Research, Inorganic and Pharmaceutical and Organic Chemistry. List of Departments that teach in the Faculty

The Faculty owns 18 classrooms, an auditorium (with a capacity of 400 people), a grade meeting room, a conference room and an exhibition room, in addition to the student areas, the Student Union and the and the Sports Association. There is also a library, a newspaper archive, a museum, computer rooms and a number of general services, like electron microscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance, a herbarium, a greenhouse, radiopharmaceutical, cafeteria, reproduction, etc.

Since its foundation, the purposes of the Faculty have been regulated by 18 Deans: Dr. Mariano del Amo y Mora (1850-1892), Dr. Florentino López Jordán (1892-1905), Dr. Bernabé Dorronsoro y Ucelayeta (1905-1925), Dr. Juan Luis Diez Tortosa (1925-1931), Dr. Carlos Rodríguez López-Neyra de Gorgot (1931), Dr. José García Vélez (1931-1951), Dr. José María Clavera Armenteros (1951-1959), Dr. Ángel Hoyos de Castro (1959-1961), Dr. José Dorronsoro Velilla (1961-1967), Dr. Diego Guevara Pozo (1967-1973), Dr. Rafael García Villanova (1973-1977), Dr. José Luis Valverde López (1977-1981), Dr. Fermín Sánchez de Medina Contreras (1981-1985), Dr. Jesús Thomas Gómez (1985-1989), Dra. María José Faus Dáder (1989-1997), Dr. Fernando Martínez Martínez (1997-2005), Dr. Luis Recalde Manrique (2005-2013) and Dra. Ana Isabel Del Moral García (since June 2013).
Deans Gallery.

historia3 Regarding the postgraduate training, all the departments that provide courses in the Faculty of Pharmacy also offer different Master and Doctorate programmes. The Doctorate programmes complement the development of doctoral theses, with the purpose of obtaining the title of Doctor. The first doctoral thesis was submitted in 1891 by the graduate Dr. Juan Nacle Herrera and the first woman to get a Doctorate was Dra. Amparo Serrano Sánchez in 1946, with a thesis about "Intestinal Roundworms Parasites of Arthropods in Spain", directed by the Professor López-Neyra.


Since 1990, the Faculty of Pharmacy of Granada shares its location with the Faculty of Sevilla, the Ibero-American Academy of Pharmacy. This Academy is one of the few existing in our country which is recognized internationally. The aims of the Academy are the investigation and the study of Pharmaceutical Sciences and similar areas, the encouragement of its learning and the relations between Spanish and Ibero-Americans pharmaceuticals, and the giving of advice to official agencies. To do that, the Academy has over 70 permanent academics and a varying number of honorary members and correspondents from all around the world. The Ibero-American Academy of Pharmacy began its work in 1992.

The magazine ARS Pharmaceutica was founded in the Faculty of Pharmacy of Granada by professors Suñé Arbussá and Cabo Torres. In its edited volumes, various original works were published not only by the research staff, who are located in the Faculty and work in different areas of expertise, but also by other external researchers.

Faculty of Pharmacy of Granada website: http://farmacia.ugr.es.